This heartwarming, healthy soup will comfort you during the coldest wintery days. It is a bowl of nutrition that can stand as a full meal. Add your favorite herbs to this flavorful veggie soup.
Makes 6 servings.
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup diced yellow onions
- ½ cup diced fennel
- ½ cup diced celery
- ½ cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- ½ cup diced zucchini
- ½ cup diced yellow squash
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- ½ teaspoon minced fresh oregano
- ½ teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups chiffonade spinach or kale
- 1 cup canned cannellini beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in large saucepan. Saute onions, fennel, celery and carrots until onions are translucent. Add tomatoes and cook 5 minutes. Add zucchini and yellow squash and cook 5 more minutes.
- Add stock and herbs and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add spinach or kale, beans, vinegar, salt and pepper and mix well. Remove and discard bay leaf.