- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 Tablespoon tamari
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup ground flax seeds
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro or parsley
- cooking spray oil or extra olive oil
- Bring 3 cups of water to a boil. Add lentils and quinoa, bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Saute shallot in olive oil for 2 minutes, until starting to soften. Add mushrooms and cook until soft and juices are released, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and saute another minute until juices are absorbed. Add spices, salt and pepper, and let cool completely.
- Combine lentils, quinoa and mushroom mixture. Add tamari, tomato paste, flax, egg, scallions, and herbs.
- Scoop patties using 1/4 cup measure and place on parchment lined baking sheet with cooking spray. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray the patties with cooking spray or brush with olive oil. Bake lentil patties for 25-30 minutes.
Recipe adapted from www.greennapkinnutrition.com