The first time I made these bars I was seriously blown away by the buttery taste. These bars contain no butter, no flour, no refined sugar yet taste absolutely decadent and indulgent. Make sure you let others taste these before you reveal the secret ingredient…!
Yield: 12 squares
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed & drained
- ½ cup peanut butter (I used a natural peanut butter that I ground myself at the store)
- ¾ cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cups semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips, reserve ¼ cup for the top
- pinch sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a loaf pan with parchment paper
- In a food processor (or high speed blender), add all ingredients except chocolate chips and process until batter is smooth, similar consistency to hummus
- Stir in 1/2 cup of the dark chocolate chips
- Scoop the batter into the lined pan and smooth it out evenly. Lightly press the remaining chocolate chips over top
- Bake for 60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. This will vary with ovens so be patient and wait until the edges are beginning to brown
- Cool for 10 minutes in the pan then transfer to a rack for another 30 minutes for them to set. Cut into squares.