Beets are an incredible, natural detoxifier for the liver. Thanks to high amounts of pectin, a fiber that helps clear toxins from the body, they’re an amazing addition to a Spring cleanse. They’re also antioxidant-rich and promote heart, lung, colon, and skin health so be “Smart” and eat up, even if you’re not detoxing.
- 2 to 3 beets
- 1/2 medium-size red cabbage chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 small cucumber, chopped
- 1 small green apple, chopped
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Cilantro, chopped
- Juice of 1 or 2 Meyer lemons
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder (optional)
- Boil a pot of water, add the beets, and boil for 10 to 12 minutes until they’re cooked. Drain and let cool.
- Peel and slice beets.
- In a bowl, combine the sliced beets with the rest of the ingredients and toss well. Add salt and pepper to taste. You may also add cumin powder for added flavor.