This dish is absolutely perfect when you are in the mood for Chinese food. The gluten-free glaze makes this a perfectly healthy Asian style dish combining a plant-based protein with broccoli that is loaded with fiber. You can also use the same recipe with roasted Brussels sprouts.
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into florets with stems + sliced stems
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons vegetable broth
- sea salt and fresh pepper
Extra Crispy Baked Tofu
- 1 block organic extra-firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium tamari or coconut aminos (soy-free)
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch or cornstarch
Spicy Maple-Sesame Glaze
- ¼ cup reduced-sodium tamari or coconut aminos (soy-free)
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1-2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce or sriracha (depending how spicy you like it)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds (black or white)
- Fresh cilantro leaves, torn by hand
- Prep work: Position your oven racks in the lower third and upper third of the oven. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line two large, rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper for easy cleanup.
- Drain the tofu by placing on a plate, cover with paper towel or tea towel, and place something heavy on top. Let water come out for 10-15 min while you prep the broccoli.
- Chop the broccoli head into florets and add some slices of the stems. Toss in a bowl with olive oil, broth, salt and pepper. Transfer to the baking sheet.
- Cut the tofu into cubes and toss with olive oil and tamari. Transfer to the second baking sheet. Sprinkle with arrowroot starch until evenly coated. Arrange tofu in even layer.
- Transfer the baking sheets to the oven place the broccoli on the lower oven rack, and the tofu on top. Bake for 25-30 minutes, tossing each pan halfway through cooking, until the broccoli and tofu are golden on the edges.
- To make the glaze: In a small saucepan, whisk together the glaze ingredients. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat, stirring often and reducing heat as necessary. Simmer for 5-10 minutes until the glaze is reduced by about half. Remove from heat.
- To assemble: Place the roasted broccoli and baked tofu in a serving dish and drizzle with the glaze. Sprinkle with sesame seed and chopped cilantro. Serve and enjoy!
Leave a Reply