This is to satisfy a taste for Italian food with no added oil or fat. Smart Life clients and I have been making this recipe repeatedly this month and we enjoy it every time. Serve plain or with brown rice or cooked quinoa.
- 4 medium tomatoes, cored, seeded and diced
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon, onion flakes
- 2 cups low-sodium organic chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon each dried oregano, basil, and parsley.
- 1 bay leaf
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 2 chicken breast fillets, each cut horizontally into 2 pieces.
- 2-3 Tablespoons Red Wine (optional)
1.In a large nonstick skillet combine all the ingredients except for the chicken. Cook, stirring often, over medium heat until the tomatoes break down and the sauce is thickened.
2. Submerge the chicken pieces in the sauce, reduce the heat to low and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce is thick. Serve immediately or warm-up later on the stove.