This is a great way to use leftover veggies in your fridge. Or, a great option for a main dish on Meatless Monday!
- All leftover veggies in your fridge that need to be used up (carrots, zucchini, squash, eggplant, etc.)
- 1 large can chopped tomatoes
- 1 can tomato puree
- 1 can chickpeas or white beans
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 6 large yams, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley (optional)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric (optional)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Chop veggies (not yams) and sauté in a bit of olive oil until soft, 8-10 minutes.
Add tomatoes, tomato puree, vegetable broth, spices, garlic and herbs.
Add chickpeas or white beans and mix well.
Cook vegetables and beans in tomato sauce for 15 minutes on low to medium heat.
Remove veggie mixture from heat.
Slice yams into thin sheets.
Spread a little olive oil on the bottom of a square dish and cover with a layer of yams.
Spoon out veggie mix and spread evenly on top of yams.
Finish with a layer of yams and lightly brush the yams with olive oil.
Bake covered for 40 minutes.
Take off the cover and turn up the temperature to 450 degrees for 10 minutes to crisp up the top layer.
Leave a Reply