Every spa has a signature granola recipe. The one I love is the recipe from the Ranch in Malibu, California, that I adapted for Smart Life meal plans. I enjoy this granola over unsweetened coconut milk yogurt or with unsweetened oat milk. This granola can be stored in airtight container for up to 2 weeks. You can switch up the nuts and dried fruit to suit your family favorites.
Makes about 10 cups (20 servings)
- Unrefined virgin coconut oil, for brushing (or use spray)
- 3 cups walnut halves
- 2 cups steel-cut oats
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1 cup almonds, chopped
- ¾ cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup dried fruit, chopped (choose your favorite or mix dried apricots, dried blueberries, cranberries, golden raisins or dried dates)
- Preheat oven to 275F. Spray or brush parchment lined baking sheet with coconut oil.
- In a large bowl, mix the walnuts, oats, pecans, almonds, sunflower seeds, coconut, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg whites and maple syrup. Use a fork to create less foam. Pour the egg mixture over the dry ingredients and mix to coat evenly.
- Transfer the granola mixture to the baking sheet spreading it out. Bake for 25 minutes and then rotate and bake for another 25 min. Remove from the oven, add any dried fruit and mix with spatula, and then bake for another 25-30 min., until golden brown.
- Let cool and store in glass containers.