This salad is a great appetizer for your holiday meal. If you choose slightly bitter greens like watercress or arugula, the tomatoes and caramelized figs will add sweetness and make a great combination for this seasonal salad.
Yield: 4-6 Servings
- 6 fresh figs, cut in quarters
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 8-10 cups of fresh greens (watercress, arugula, or spinach)
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut in large pieces
- 8-10 yellow/orange cherry tomatoes, halved
- 12-14 red cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small jalapeño, without seeds, sliced thinly
- Sea salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup organic balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- In a small saucepan reduce the balsamic vinegar with the sugar over low heat. Remove from heat and let chill.
- Warm the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Spread the figs over a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush the figs with olive oil and roast for 3-4 minutes.
- In a large serving plate, spread the greens and drizzle with a little fresh lemon juice. Toss lightly.
- In another bowl toss all the tomatoes with the jalapeño, sea salt, pepper and a little olive oil. Spread the tomatoes over the greens.
- Top the salad with the roasted figs and drizzle with the balsamic reduction. Serve immediately. Option: garnish the salad with chopped fresh parsley.