Yield: 4 servings
Shrimp are a great seafood option known to be low in mercury and vitamin C from the oranges helps the body absorb iron from the greens.
Ingredients for Salad:
- 2 lbs. field greens of choice or a mix (arugula, endive, spinach, baby kale)
- 2 oranges, supremed and juice reserved (see this link on how to supreme citrus fruit)
- 1 lbs. jumbo or large shrimp, cleaned and shelled
- 3 Tablespoons pesto sauce
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 avocado
- 1⁄4 cup pumpkin seeds (optional)
Ingredients for the vinaigrette:
- 2 Tablespoons orange juice
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 small shallot, chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger root
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 Tablespoons fresh tarragon, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Make the vinaigrette by combining orange juice, lime juice, vinegar, shallot, mustard, ginger, maple syrup, tarragon, salt and pepper. Drizzle in the olive oil until emulsified.
- In a bowl, mix the shrimp with the pesto sauce and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Let marinate for 10- 15 minutes. Heat a grill pan or sauté pan and grill/sauté the shrimp until done, about 1-2 minutes per side.
- Mix the salad greens with the vinaigrette and divide into plates. You can also serve this salad on a single platter. (Make sure you mix the vinaigrette with the greens right before serving).
- Top salad with the pesto shrimp, orange sections, sliced avocado and pumpkin seeds.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!