- 4 medium size tomatoes
- 2 cups cooked black lentils (can replace with black beans)
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (can replace with millet)
- 4 cups mushrooms (button, cremini or shitake), very finely chopped
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup finely chopped parsley or cilantro
- ½ jalapeno, seeded and finely diced (use less for milder taste)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Ground pepper, to taste
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. raw apple cider vinegar
- Optional: grated cheese (I use vegan mozzarella by VioLife to keep the dish vegan).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the top from the tomatoes and empty the insides.
- To make filling, sauté mushrooms and garlic in ¼ cup vegetable broth over medium-low heat for 5 minutes, until fully cooked. If needed, add additional broth while cooking.
- In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Stir in mushrooms and garlic.
- Spoon filling into tomatoes, pressing down mixture slightly.
- Sprinkle cheese on top of each tomato.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until heated through and enjoy!
This filling can be used with tomatoes, acorn squash, zucchini or peppers.